Friday, October 7, 2011

A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry - Audio Book of the Week

The Crucible


From Amazon.com:
A Raisin in the Sun is a seminal American drama and a heroic testament of hope. This new recording of Lorraine Hansberry s classic play, starring Rutina Wesley from the HBO hit series True Blood, chronicles a working class African American family struggling to maintain dignity in a harsh world. With her late husband s insurance money finally in hand, Mama Lena dreams of moving to a better home. However, her children have other plans: Walter Lee wants to buy a liquor store, and Beneatha wants to go to medical school. What happens when family dreams drastically diverge? A full-cast performance featuring: Judyann Elder, James Gleason, Noah Gray-Cabey, Corey Hawkins, Deidrie Henry, Terrell Tilford, Rutina Wesley and Mirron E. Willis.


My Take:  I received a copy of this La Theater Works  production as a part of Audiobook Jukebox's Solid Gold reviewer program.  I chose this title in August but did not receive it till last week.

I usually listen to unabridged books that are at least 8 hours long and have one reader.  It is nice to break up that every once in awhile with a drama that has a full cast and is about 2 hours long.  These plays have all of that covered.

The cast in this particular play bring the character's to life and you truly are routing that eveything will work out for this family.  I would  highly recommend this production to anyone but be aware there is some language. 

This play brought the truth fo the fact that family can hurt us the most by the words that are said.  After listening to this I am going to be more aware of the words I say.. 


1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed your review - I think I'd enjoy listening to this, too. Thanks for participating in the Jukebox's review project.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a recent large amount of spam comments I have decided to start comment moderation. I love comments so please leave them.