Friday, October 28, 2011

Audio Book of the Week - The Pilgrim Progress by John Bunyan

The Pilgrim's Progress | [John Bunyan]

The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan
Read by Robert Whitfield

From Audible.com:

Next to The Bible, The Pilgrim's Progress has probably been more widely read than any other book in the English language, and rightfully so. It is considered by most critics as the greatest allegory in any language. And to think that it was written by a jailed tinker who received very little formal education. This is the enthralling account of a Christian's epic journey. With a burden on his back, Christian reads a book that tells him that the city in which he and his family dwell will be set ablaze. Christian flees from the City of Destruction and journeys through the Slough of Despond, the Interpreter's House, the House Beautiful, the Valley of Humiliation, the Valley of the Shadow of Death, Vanity Fair, Doubting Castle, and the Delectable Mountains, and finally reaches the Celestial City.
(P)1997 Blackstone Audiobooks; originally published in 1670, United Kingdom

My Take:  My Husband and I like to listen to the same books at the same time occasionally. This was one of those books.  This audio presentation includes the journey that Christian's wife and children took also.  Because of the old English I doubt that I would have made it through this book if I had been reading it. It was the perfect book to listen to while I was walking in the mornings, most times in the woods. It is amazing that John Bunyan had very little education. This book is one of those that makes you stop and think. 

This was from my personal library of audio books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a recent large amount of spam comments I have decided to start comment moderation. I love comments so please leave them.