Friday, July 20, 2012

The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch audiobook review

The Eleventh Plague | [Jeff Hirsch]

The Eleventh Plague

From Audible.com:

In the aftermath of a war, America’s landscape has been ravaged and two-thirds of the population left dead from influenza. Fifteen-year-old Stephen Quinn and his family were among the few that survived. But when Stephen’s grandfather dies and his father falls into a coma, Stephen finds his way to Settler’s Landing, a community that seems too good to be true. There he meets strong, defiant, mischievous Jenny. When they play a prank on the town bully’s family that goes horribly wrong, they find themselves in the midst of a battle that will change Settler’s Landing forever.

My Take:  This is another audio book that I picked up through Audiofile's Summer Sync program.   Click the link to find out about the books for this week and for the books in the future weeks.  This book was one of the first weeks selections so it is no long available for free but I would suggest that you see if you can find from your library or maybe buy it.
I really enjoyed this book.  It was interesting to see how different people reacted to what had happened to the world.  As is always the the way some people tried to take advantage of the situation and some people took what ever they could from people.  Some people like Stephen's grandfather became cynical and distrustful of everyone.  Others, like most of the people of  Settler's Landing, are willing to trust others.  It was interesting to see the transformation of Stephen over the length of the book. He matured so much.  I liked the progression of the other characters as well.   
Audio:  I really liked Dan Bittner's interpretation of this book.  His characterization was really all that was needed as far as distinction between characters and his voices were not really that much different but you could tell by the tone of voice or inflection who was talking. 
This is considered YA but I think adults would enjoy it too.  I did. 

Head over to Devourer of Books for a meme that highlights the audio books that others have finished this week.  I have added to by Audible.com wish list every week since I started checking it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a recent large amount of spam comments I have decided to start comment moderation. I love comments so please leave them.