Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Cozy Mystery of the Month and Audio Book of the Week - Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson

Catering to Nobody (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #1)

Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson
Read by Barbara Rosenblat

From Amazon.com:
Get ready for a smorgasbord of delicious suspense prepared by Goldy Bear, an irrepressible mistress of menus and amateur sleuth. Filled with a cast of colorful characters and superb recipes, Catering to Nobody is the first in a series that has made Diane Mott Davidson a best-selling author and the Queen of the Culinary Mystery.

Goldy Bear, recently divorced, has made a home for herself and her young son in scenic Aspen Valley, Colorado. There, calls for Goldilock's Catering have been steady enough to pay the bills. But when a mourner is felled by rat poison during a funeral buffet Goldy is serving, the police quickly close her business. Now it's up to Goldy to find the rat who has tainted her food and her reputation.

Diane Mott Davidson whips up a spicy mixture of cooks and crooks, and veteran narrator Barbara Rosenblat brilliantly conveys Goldy's intelligence, wit, and energy. As the mystery unfolds, its tension is sweetened by delectable recipes, including Goldy's Dream Cake, Dungeon Bars, and Honey Ginger Snaps.

My Take:
I listened to this in audio so this is also an audio of the week.
The above description says that Goldy was recently divorced but I don't know how recently because there was a wife after her.
Anyway, I have wanted to read a book by Diane Mott Davidson for awhile so I decided to just take the plunge and listen to this one.
This was a pretty good mystery because it had me guessing until close to the end. One of the local teachers committed suicide and Goldy is hired to cater the funeral dinner. One of the mourners is poisoned by rat poisoning and her business is shut down. In order to get it opened again she must find out what is going on. There is alot of things going on in this little town. Goldy has a really weird relationship with her ex (to say they had a bad divorce is mild) and his family. She is also friends with her ex husbands second wife. Her son Arch seems to be slipping away into the world of role playing games. And her roommate is having mood swings among other things.
This book had a bit more language than I like but not an over abundance. I don't really know how I felt about the narrator. At times I thought she did a great job and at other I just found her voice annoying.
I still like HannahSwenson better but I think I will read (or Listen) to more in this series. If you want the recipes I would suggest the paper book as it is hard to follow in the audio and almost impossible to find after.
This was one of my Audible selections.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a recent large amount of spam comments I have decided to start comment moderation. I love comments so please leave them.