Thursday, February 17, 2011

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore Audiobook of the Week

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies)
I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
Narrated by Neil Kaplan

From Audible.com:
Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books but we are real.


Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.

Number Two in England.

And Number Three in Kenya.

They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.

My Take: I wanted to read this book before the movie came out becasue I am pretty sure that my daughter will want to see the movie.  From the previews of the movie I think this might be one of those rare cases where the movie will be better than the book. 
Here is the trailer for the movie


Here is the book trailer


I think that I might have liked this book better if I had read it instead of listened to it.  When the narrator was just reading the book and being the voice of Number Four and his "father" the book was okay but when he was trying to be voices for other characters it is was just down right horrible. Would have been much better if he had just read the book without trying any voices. 
The story itself was okay.  I knew going in that it was written for teens but really I think that it is well below a teens level reading and intellectually.  I felt that the charcters were just to ready to except that Number Four was an Alien.  Come on ,really ,you just tell your girlfriend that your an alien and she just says that's okay I love you anyway? 
Sad to say that my favorite character was Bernie Kozar. 

There was a quite a bit of cursing in this book, no, I will not be giving it to my daughter to read.    

This was a nice piece of fluff but a great work of literature? No way. But fun in it's own way. 

I would suggest reading this instead of listening.  

This was taken from my personal library. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a recent large amount of spam comments I have decided to start comment moderation. I love comments so please leave them.