Wednesday, December 22, 2010

An Amish Christmas by Cynthia Keller - Audio

An Amish Christmas: A Novel
An Amish Christmas by Cynthia Keller

From Amazon
Meg Hobart has everything: a happy marriage to a handsome, successful husband, a beautiful home in Charlotte, North Carolina, and three wonderful children. But it all comes crashing down around her the day she learns that her husband, James, has been living a lie—and has brought the family to financial ruin. Penniless and homeless, the Hobarts pack up what little they still possess and leave behind their golden life for good. But it’s not the material things Meg finds herself mourning. Instead, she misses the certainty that she should remain married to James, who has betrayed her trust so thoughtlessly. Worse, she is suddenly very aware of just how spoiled her children have become. Meg wonders what her family has really sacrificed in their pursuit of the American dream.



My Take:

This was not your typical Amish Story as it focaused more on the family who stumbles intot he Amish community more than the Amish themselves.

I Felt sorry for Meg as she had to deal with what her husband had done along with his anger and the children's anger.  I thought the James got away with what he did way to easily and didn't really have to take much responsibility for his actions.  I thought the two older chidlren were just spoiled brats and would go back to being spoiled brats after the New Year. I liked the relationship between the Amish Grandfather and the yougest boy. 

The story was tied up with a bow at the end and unfortunately life isn't like that.  But overall I thought the book was a good story and it was just what I needed at this time of year. 

I listened to  this from my own audio library and it was for the Christmas Reading challenges I am doing.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a recent large amount of spam comments I have decided to start comment moderation. I love comments so please leave them.