Wednesday, March 31, 2010

In the Presence of My Enemies by Gracia Burnham

I was given the opportunity to listen to this audio book by Christianaudio.com.  See my disclaimer.

 To tell you the truth I didn't know much about what happened to the Burnhams when it was actually happening.  I did know that they had been kidnapped but that was about all.  I really wasn't expecting much from the book when I started to listen.  I was quickly caught up in the drama and was on the edge of my seat through much of the book.
The narrator Pam Ward did an excellent job.  She read the book as if she was the one who had wrote it. 
Gracia Burnham writes with an honesty and was very straight forward about what happened to her and her husband.  She is very clear that the captors where the bad guys here even though her husband was killed during the rescue.  She was also very clear that she still needed to pray for her captors as they are people too.  She brought each captors forward as a unique personality and each with good and bad qualities.  She also explained how they saw their particular brand of Islam and the contradictions with it.

I felt a connection with the family especially when she talked about her daughter Mindy.  That's my name.  And then she said that Mindy's birthday was Oct. 17th.  That's my birthday too!!  Although we are  a couple decades apart in age this connection made me really stop and think of how I would have felt if my parents had been in that situation (although I am a PK not an MK).

This story also made me stop and think of how I would have reacted if I had been in the situation.  Gracia was very honest in her feelings.  She told honestly how she was depressed.  How she went through guilt as it was her idea to go to the resort where they were taken.   The whole story wasn't tied up in a nice little bow.

I would recommend this book to everyone.  Even if biographies aren't you cup of tea this is definetly worth the time.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a recent large amount of spam comments I have decided to start comment moderation. I love comments so please leave them.