Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Book review of The Opposite of Art by Athol Dickson

The Opposite of Art

The Opposite of Art by Athol Dickson

From Goodreads.com:

A great artist is cast into the icy Harlem River by a hit-and-run driver. His heart stops, and he sees something that defies description. Presumed dead by all who knew him and obsessed with the desire to paint the inexpressible, he embarks on a pilgrimage to seek help from holy men around the globe. But is it possible to see eternity without becoming lost within it? After a quarter of a century, when the world begins to whisper that he may be alive, two people come looking for the artist: the daughter he never knew existed, and the murderer who hit him on the bridge all those years ago.


About Athol Dickson

Athol Dickson is the publisher of the popular news website, DailyCristo.com, and the author of seven novels and the bestselling memoir, The Gospel according to Moses. His novels of suspense and magical realism have been honored with three Christy Awards and an Audie Award, and compared to the work of Octavia Butler (by Publisher's Weekly) and Flannery O'Connor (by The New York Times). He and his wife live in Southern California.

My Take:

As with many books that others absolutely love, I found this book just ok.  I liked the concept of an artist seeing the other side and trying to capture it in his art and his journey along the way.  The author did a good job of making one stop and think.  The book just didn't touch me like it did many others.  I will put it back on my shelves and will try it again later and see if it affects me differently.  I would suggest reading what others at Good Reads and Amazon and Shelfari have to say.  It was just a three star book for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a recent large amount of spam comments I have decided to start comment moderation. I love comments so please leave them.