Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Imagination Station:Attack at the Arena by Marianne Hering and Paul McCusker

Attack at the Arena (AIO Imagination Station Books) Attack at the Arena by Marianne Hering and Paul McCusker

From Publisher:
Patrick and Beth learn that Mr. Whittaker’s fancy ring can be seen inside the Imagination Station but not outside of the machine. A mysterious letter leads the cousins to fifth-century Rome in search of a special cup that belongs to a monk. If found, the cup could keep the mysterious Albert out of prison.


At the Roman Colosseum, Emperor Honorius is hosting a gladiator battle in celebration of a war victory. Beth attends the event as the emperor’s slave; Patrick attends as a monk’s apprentice but is taken prisoner and sent to fight in the arena. During their adventure, the cousins meet Telemachus (a true historical figure), a monk who believes that fighting is wrong. Telemachus is willing to risk everything—even his life—to stop the killing. When the cousins return with the cup, they find that a third letter has been sent with more information about Albert’s fate.
 
My Take:
When my children were young they loved listening to Adventures in Odyssey.  My 15 Year old still likes to listen to the cds we have.  I like to download them onto my mp3 player and escape to Odyssey every once in awhile.  My Husband will listen on the radio occasionally.  When I was given the chance to read a book from the new series about Mr. Whitaker's invention The Imagination Station (from Tyndale) I was thrilled.
 
These books are geared toward children ages 7 and up , about a second grade reading level.  This book is the second in series and I would highly recommend starting with the first book.  This book is enjoyable by itself  but there are some things that happen in the first book that I would have liked to have known about.  
 
Patrick and Beth travel back to ancient Rome in order to get a special cup.  They get separated and Patrick ends up traveling with a monk Telemachus and Beth ends up as the bird keeper for the emperor.  This book is filled excitement and will keep the beginning reader turning the pages till the very end.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a recent large amount of spam comments I have decided to start comment moderation. I love comments so please leave them.