Saturday, November 3, 2012

I, Michael Bennett by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge Audio book review

I, Michael Bennett
I, Michael Bennett by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge
Read by Bobby Cannavale and Jay Snyder

From Goodreads:Police officers shot Detective Michael Bennett arrests an infamous Mexican crime lord in a deadly chase that leaves Bennett's lifelong friend Hughie McDonough dead. From jail, the prisoner vows to rain epic violence down upon New York City-and to get revenge on Michael Bennett. Judges murdered To escape the chaos, Bennett takes his ten kids and their beautiful nanny, Mary Catherine, on a much-needed vacation to his family's cabin near Newburgh, New York. But instead of the calm and happy town he remembers from growing up, they step into a nightmare worse than they could have ever imagined. Newburgh is an inferno of warring gangs, and there's little the police-or Bennett-can do to keep the children safe. Target: Michael Bennett As violence overwhelms the state, Bennett is torn between protecting his hometown and saving New York City. A partner in his investigations, federal prosecutor Tara McLellan, brings him new weapons for the battle-and an attraction that endangers his relationship with Mary Catherine. A no-holds-barred, pedal-to-the-floor, action-packed novel, I, Michael Bennett is James Patterson at his most personal and most thrilling best.

My Take:  The Michael Bennett series, by James Patterson,  is my second favorite after The Women's Murder Club.  This book was really a disappointment.  I think that the Michael Bennett in this book was the replacement the aliens left when Michael was abducted.  He is totally clueless in his handling of any and all police work   in this book.  He acts more like a clueless rookie cop than like the well respected veteran police officer that he is.  The disregard that he has for what his actions might have on his family is totally not like him at all.  Plus not even taking into consideration Mary Catherine when he goes off with the prosecutor is another stereotypical male thing to do.  This Michael Bennett was definitely not the Michael Bennett that I have loved in the other books.  The ending I feel was just thrown in so that you would buy the next book.  It was like the authors knew that they had just phoned this one in and they needed a hook to get you to want the next book.  Will I get the next book?  Probably,  but if it is not better than this book, I will probably be dropping this series from my must listen list.

Which brings me to the audio.  The narrators did a very good job with what they were given.  I would not hesitate to buy a book if I saw that either one of these men were doing the reading.  They were the best thing about the whole book.  

This book was taken from my personal audio library.  

2 comments:

  1. What a difference between your take and the GoodReads summary! I hate it when a series entry disappoints like that, especially when you're invested in the series already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least the narrators were good, I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a recent large amount of spam comments I have decided to start comment moderation. I love comments so please leave them.