Friday, August 19, 2011

Across the Wide River by Stephanie Reed

AcrosstheWideRiver
Across the Wide River by Steohanie Reed


Freedom—
Some take it for granted.
Others consider it worth dying for.

Lowry Rankin knows all too well the cost of freedom; after all, his family’s red brick home is the first stop on the Underground Railroad north of the Ohio River.
He’s seen friends beaten for the color of their skin. He’s watched simple farmers make a difference. He’s even risked his own life transporting escaped slaves. But will Lowry be able to conquer his greatest fear when he’s called to speak out?

This book is a fictional account that is based on a real family that risked their lives to be part of the Underground Railroad.
I am always inspired when I read about everyday people doing extraordianry things and that is what people along the Underground Railroad did. 
This is a very short book , only 176 pages, but for such a short book it packs a punch.  I would encourge you to read it yourself.  I would encourage you to have your children read it. 

Here is a link to a short pdf excerpt of the book. 

This book is a great example to everyone about how with the Bible as your guide you can do wonderful things even if your an ordinary person.

I received a review copy of this book from Kregel Publications. 

1 comment:

  1. Mindy, thanks so much! I'm glad you'd recommend the Rankins' story to others. I like how your cat is inside looking out--I feel like that a lot of days when I'm writing. :-)

    If you or your readers want to read a longer sample of Across the Wide River or the sequel, The Light Across the River, they can find the first two chapters of each here: http://bit.ly/rdRKvp

    Thanks for sharing your readers with me!

    ReplyDelete

Due to a recent large amount of spam comments I have decided to start comment moderation. I love comments so please leave them.