Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Gathering of Sisters by Darla Weaver

Gathering of Sisters: A Year with My Old Order Mennonite Family

Once a week Darla Weaver bundles her children into the buggy, hitches up her spirited mare, and drives six miles to the farm where she grew up. There she gathers with her four sisters and their children for a day with their mother. In Gathering of Sisters, Weaver writes about her horse-and-buggy Mennonite family and the weekly women's gatherings that keep them connected. On warm days, the children play and fish and build houses of hay in the barn. In the winter, everyone stays close to the woodstove, with puzzles and games and crocheting. No matter the weather, the Tuesday get-togethers of this Old Order Mennonite family keep them grounded and centered in their love for God and for each other.

The rest of the week is full of laundry, and errands, and work that never ends. But Tuesdays are about being sisters, daughters, and mothers.

Hear straight from Amish and Mennonite people themselves as they write about their daily lives and deeply rooted faith in the Plainspoken series from Herald Press. Each book includes "A Day in the Life of the Author" and the author's answers to FAQs about the Amish and Mennonites.
 

My take:  I really enjoyed this book.  I like to think about simpler times when people use to get together for more than just the holidays and kids got to play with their cousins and really got to know them.  Instead of just getting together once a year if that.  I have a brother so we don't get together to do crafts etc.  I am trying to get my grandkids together but right now I have five grandkids and four of them are in the same family.  Although this is part of a series this book can be read by itself.  

I received a review copy of this book from Read with Audra for my honest review.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a recent large amount of spam comments I have decided to start comment moderation. I love comments so please leave them.